Rapid response to Covid-19
A roundup of actions #Stay home has taken to reduce the spread of the coronavirus while supporting those directly and indirectly impacted by COVID-19.
As a global company, we’re closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19. In addition to those who are affected by the illness, many more are indirectly dealing with changes in their work, school, and community environments. Here are some of the ways #Stayhome is supporting customers, communities, and employees during this difficult time.
Serving our customers
We believe our role serving customers and the community during this time is a critical one, and we want to make sure people can get the items they need, when they need them. As COVID-19 has spread, we’ve recently seen an increase in people shopping online. In the short term, this is having an impact on how we serve our customers. In particular, you will notice that we are currently out of stock on some popular brands and items, especially in household staples categories. You will also notice that some of our delivery promises are longer than usual. We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders.
We’re also working to ensure that no one artificially raises prices on basic need products during this pandemic , in line with our long-standing policy. We actively monitor our store and remove offers that violate our policy.
Caring for our employees
We continue to work closely with authorities worldwide to ensure that we are taking the right precautions and have implemented a series of preventative health measures for employees. In light of ongoing international COVID-19 developments, we now recommend that all global employees who work in a role that can be done from home, do so through April 10th. Every team is different and not all jobs are conducive to working from home. Employees and partners whose work requires their physical presence in their workplace, have access to all of their usual paid and unpaid time-off benefits.
We cancelled large events, and changed the majority of our job interviews to virtual interviews rather than in-person interviews, which often require travel. At the same time, we increased our cleaning of all facilities globally, including regular sanitization of all door handles, stairway handrails, elevator buttons, lockers, and touch screens.
Safeguarding our Fulfillment Network & Delivery teams
As a response to the increase in people shopping online, our operations team has increased its capacity to ensure we fulfill customer orders as quickly as possible. We do this while ensuring the highest safety and hygiene standards for our associates and partners.
- We are continuing to raise awareness and educate our associates to adhere to preventive hygiene practices outlined by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UAE’s Ministry of Health and Prevention.
- In line with the company’s guidelines, all our associates are required to stay home and seek medical attention if they are feeling unwell.
- We have increased the frequency and intensity of cleaning at all operations sites across the UAE.
- Our vehicles and warehouse also following very rigorous hygienic standards.
- Before reaching customers, employees sanitize their hands to protect themselves and also assure customers that shipments are safe and clean.
- For contactless deliveries, use an electronic payment method such as a gift card, credit card or debit card.
- When delivering packages to customers who are paying cash on delivery, we ensure that our customers and associates keep a safe distance and use a box to place cash in which is passed between them. This box is sanitized after each shift and all associates wear gloves during their deliveries.
- We also continue to work with delivery service partners to ensure they are supporting their employees during this time.